Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Genre Confusion

My hair is long for my gender and age. It causes confusion. Little kids tell me I look like a girl, solicitors that come to the door ask my if my mom or dad's at home, kids at punk shows think I'm a hippy. I mean I guess I am, you know, comparatively. In that I don't really dig Discharge.

When I go to flyover country, I get the sense that most folks make me as a metalhead. It's comforting, kinda, like there's a box I can fit in there so people don't look twice. There's no box for me in the liberal elite city spaces I typically inhabit, so I find myself being asked for excuses or explanations from time to time.

Guys, what I'm going for is wise old sage. Mystic. Dude that gives not a fuck. I haven't done anything to my hair, except, you know, wash it, in twenty years. All the time and money I save on haircuts goes into thinking deep thoughts about stuff. It's true. Grow your hair long and you'll see.



Zodiac Mindwarp reinvented himself, so the story that I read goes. He wrote about rock and decided he wanted to be a rock star so he went on and be'd a rock star. Simple. Adoration, groupies, drugs, the whole bit.

I don't have the stamina for that. Also I kind of don't like metal. My plan is to continue self-actualizing by calmly writing about music, and maybe take up yoga if my lower back keeps flaring up. That and some other stuff.

Metal or no, I dig this record. Tattoed Beat Messiah. Yeah! One thing that's cool about this band is how they abet genre-confusion. You hear the name of the band and the title and you're like, summer of love, dude, pass the hashish pipe, man, one love, bro. Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction! Heeeeeaaavy! Then on comes the record and it's hard-ass dudes in leather jackets spitting out chunky riffs and odes to bad girls and breakin' the law. You know, like Priest, man. Dananananananana WOW WOW! Reeeeee-diddleiddleiddleWAAAAAHHHH! Fuck, man. Priest.

Genre confusion. Let's spread some more of that, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment